Signs of over stretching
- Feeling a burning sensation while you are stretching
- Feeling the muscle tearing/pulling strongly while you are stretching rather than a slight pull
- Over bearing or shooting pain occurs while stretching
- Swelling in the muscle after you have stretched it
- A sudden decrease in athletic output/performance
Tips to avoid over stretching
- Always warm up before you stretch.
- When holding a stretch, make sure that you do it for no more than 30-60 seconds.
- Avoid bouncing while stretching (especially with hamstring muscles).
- Stretch within your comfort zone.