Tips for splits
- Ensure body is lifted with correct posture
- Keep hips square to the front
- Chest expanded and shoulders down
- Aim for both legs straight and feet pointed
- Ensure back leg is turned out (side of back foot on floor)
- Keep hands flat on floor next to hips (If hands wont go flat then fingertips to floor. Elbows may be relaxed and should be kept tucked in).
Stretches for Splits
- Kneel on one knee, push into front knee, using hands for support. Ensure hips are square. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Transfer weight onto back leg and straighten front leg, taking body over front leg. Keeping hips square. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 twice.
- Attempt splits
- Repeat on other leg
- Lay on back, keep one leg straight and flat on floor. Pull the other leg in towards body ensuring it is remaining straight. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Change legs and repeat
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 twice on each leg.
- Attempt splits again
- Stretch the front leg also by keeping hips square, keeping knees together and tucking your pelvis under.
- Note: When you’re learning to do the splits and are practicing still with a bent back leg, try to go as far as you possibly can with straight legs, hips square and upright posture. Then, when you can go no further in this position, lean forward and put your hands on the floor and keep stretching in this position. When you need a rest, bend the back leg and lower yourself completely to the floor. With time, patience and practice you WILL eventually get down with two straight legs.