It’s important to provide our bodies with a nourishing snack before physie, to give our muscles the energy to power a strong training session. Containing fruit, oats and chickpeas, these muesli bars are an excellent source of carbohydrate, a key nutrient we are looking for before exercise. This is because carbohydrates are our most efficient energy source, we can break them down and use them for energy more easily than other macronutrients like protein and fats. With a high fibre content these muesli bars are also low GI, meaning they will provide your body with slow burning energy to help power long physie sessions.
Jessica Hardt, the 2018 Senior Overall Grand Champion, loves to prepare healthy and delicious meals and takes pride in her work as a dietician.
We are lucky enough to have one of her favourite yummy and easy to make snacks to share with you. Hopefully this will assist you in getting the most out of your health and performance.
* 400g chickpeas, drained
* 5 small apples, cubed and steamed
* 1 egg
* 350g fruit and nut mix
* 1 cup oats
* 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
* 1/4 cup coconut flakes
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp ground ginger
* 1/4 tsp mixed spice
* 2 tbsp raspberries
* 2 tbsp blueberries
1. Blend chickpeas, egg and apple in a food processor till well combined.
2. Add oats, buckwheat, coconut flakes and spices, continue processing.
3. Lastly add the fruit and nut mix and blend until just combined.
4. Spread into a lined, 40x30cm baking tin. Top with berries and an extra dusting of cinnamon.
5. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees C for 25 mins or until lightly golden.